Thursday, August 09, 2007

Wanted: Winners

There's an old expression that states, "you are known by the company you keep."

The people that comprise your "community" speak a lot about who YOU are. Of all the people in the world, these are the individuals that you have chosen--whether actively or passively--to associate with.

Let me be clear before you jump to conclusions...I don't believe that any one person has more value than any other person. Nobody's life is worth more than anyone else's. And finally, I believe we all have the responsibility of loving our fellow human beings.

Having said that...I hate being around losers!

(I see that got your attention.)

Let me share my definition of a loser: a person who has accepted, and possibly even embraced, a state or condition that is beneath their ability, potential and/or destiny.

I'm not talking about people who can't do better. I'm talking about people who have CHOSEN not to do better!

I am looking to work with, live with, play with, and pray with, individuals who want better for their lives--and are willing to do what it takes to make it happen.

Is it in you?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have noticed that "winners" understand the value of their associations and as a result, they rarely look to associate with "non-winners". This makes things difficult for "aspiring winners" because they are rarely invited to the party so to speak. So I guess a person who is looking to be a winner really has to do it on their own!

Anonymous said...

I dont see how you can determine who is a winner and who is a loser. Nobody knows what is deep inside a persons heart. What criteria are you using to make your decisions?

lrubin39 said...

I only have a minute, so I'll put it this way for now (and come back to this later)...

If you spend any significant time around a person, the contents of their heart will come out in both their behavior and their conversation.

Anonymous said...

While I like to avoid the "winner" and "loser" mentality as well, I think the overall goal of this comment is to encourage us to be very mindful of people's attitudes.

It has been shown time and time again that your attitude determines your altitude.

You have to be careful when you hang around mean-spirited folks or unapologetic "underachievers" as one may vicariously acquire their attitudes. As a result, you may unwittingly change the trajectory of your life by fraternizing with such folks and adopting their mentality.

I have had to ditch a few friends recently because they were energy
vampires!

Quite honestly, pruning my portfolio of friends was the best thing I ever did.

Anonymous said...

Who are we to judge winners and losers?? Only God know a persons heart, right? There may be some buried treasure within someone.

I think most folks will show you the best and you will see and know who they are, by their actions and achievements.
The proof is in the pudding! I'm not sure if I know any straight up losers, but I know some people who are living close to the tracks. Or shall I say, it looks like a duck, but its chirping (now). Soon the chirp will be a quack. I prefer the positive mover and shakers, or the winners in this case.

Anonymous said...

i can appreciate what you are saying... when defining a loser as someone who "operates below their ability" that is very frustrating, especially when it is someone you care for... whether it's physical ability, spiritual ability, emotional ability...

i would look to GOD to find the reason this person is in my life... seasons change, and maybe you do need to let the person go... but maybe this is someone who GOD wants you to help and be an inspiration to.

i guess the persons comfort with being a "bum" or if there is a desire to do better but was just never shown how would be something to consider as well....