Monday, February 12, 2007

Self-Control

I had a conversation recently with a sports psychologist. Of the many 'nuggets' that she shared during this discussion, there is one that really stands out.

She said, "Self-control is true power."

Wow!

Most of have a concept of power that deals with the authority or influence a person has OVER OTHER PEOPLE. But the truth is that REAL POWER lies in the ability to control YOURSELF!

Many of us, including myself, spend a lot of energy trying to manipulate (or control) our circumstances and/or other people. I am encouraged to spend more time and effort controlling ME. My attitude, my perspective, my effort, my focus.

There is a proverb that states, "He that is slow to anger is better than the mighty; and he that ruleth his spirit than he that taketh a city."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree most wholeheartedly in the phrase that self control is true power.
One thing that absolutely boogles my mind is this though.
How many of us as children of the most High, can control our tongues?
How many of us can control our actions so that they benefit others rather than hurt each other?.
Its an extremely hard thing to do, but oh, so I just wish that some in the churches would learn do this one thing, and let the power of the Holy Ghost be more in control.
Its one thing to say that I am saved and santified, but it is quite another not to let the tongue dominate and demolish and always be in charge.
Powerful and thought provoking topic.
Thank you!

Anonymous said...

yes, I too have seen the effects of working with people who always have to be in charge. Those who are loud and forceful, and who cares not one iota of someone else's feelings. Its their way, or no way.
I have often wondered if it is a need to feel almighty and powerful, but on the DL, just another facet of their life that teeters on the edge of low self esteem .
I dont know; but for me, self control means a lot. There are times, when I too would like to take off the "cloke of righteousness", lay it down over yonder, and tell someone off, but something- something - just holds me back.
I just wish that that special little something - would guide others to think about their actions before it is done.
I think it is better, at least from my point of view, to just let someone vent their fustrations, and then for me to walk away, than to always be ready with an angry word - a grievous word - a word that shouldnt be said.
Many times, I am caught in this triangle; and I guess I am caught there, because the tempter knows what may make me "forget"
I too have to be constantly mindful of others and their feelings, and how it might hinder their salvaltion.
I know that the scripture says that one has to work out their own salvation with fear and trembling, and all angry player haters may say this, but again, I am mindful of the scripture that says, that if you offend the least of my brother or sister, that it would be better for a milstone to be hung around your neck, and you be flung in the bottom of the sea.
From my POV, I dont want to be flung into that sea.