Monday, March 26, 2007

Fasting

Every year around this time, Christians engage in the practice of fasting in observation of the Lent Season**. The purpose of denying one's physical needs is to help recognize and address one's deeper spiritual needs.

Fasting is not a practice unique to Christians. For example, Muslims throughout the world fast during the month of Ramadan. In the Jewish faith, on Yom Kippur, considered to be the most important day of the Jewish year, fasting is mandatory for everyone of age.


It's not about dieting...it's really about mindfulness. By restraining oneself from normal daily activities (eating, watching TV, surfing the Web), the person frees him/herself to think about--and communicate with--God.


What are you thoughts on the practice of fasting? Have you, or do you, engage in fasting? If so, was it an effective exercise?

**Lent is the forty-day season of preparation for the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. The season begins on Ash Wednesday and ends on Easter Sunday. Sundays in this season are not counted among the days of Lent. The traditional reason for this is that fasting was considered inappropriate on Sunday, the day commemorating the Resurrection of Jesus.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I fasted in college more, when I was broke and had no choice.

Casandra said...

I make valiant attempts to fast, however, I don't feel successful because I don't have lots of free to time pray and read the Word in my days. Working full-time (I go to work for rest) and having a large family with numerous plans and responsibilities that most times I can't control, I feel my fasts are not effective. I pray the Lord honors what I do. I fast a few times a week during work hours because it is most convenient. If I take a lunch break, (most times I'm too busy to-if I want to leave at 5:00) I will spend the hour reading the Word and praying. My normal prayer time is 5:00a-6:00a because no one in my household is awake. I take whatever time I can during the day to pray and reflect, (a few minutes at my desk, commuting). I don't and cannot commit to any set time or schedule. If I worry about if I am pleasing God or hearing from Him, then I get depressed. My prayers this morning was filled with tears for all the women and children that are being killed every day. It has grieved my Spirit so that I don't want to eat.

Anonymous said...

I have three days in the week that I commit steadily to fasting. They are Mondays, Weds and Fridays.

SElliott.